Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
MBSR is an 8 week/9 session experientially programme that promotes personal development, self -awareness and general well-being. It is a recognised integrative medical approach within the field of behavioural medicine. This area of health care believes that mental and emotional factors can have a significant effect on our physical health and our capacity to recover from illness. The programme has been developed and modified over 35 years and is now deliver in a variety of psychological, medical and educational settings to address the specific need of different groups.
Extensive research has shown that MBSR is beneficial to individuals with psychological conditions including anxiety, depression, addiction and sleep disturbance; medical conditions such as high blood pressure, chronic illness, eating disorders and many others; as well as preventative medicine and well-being
of developing mindfulness include;
· An ability to cope more effectively with both short and long-term stressful situations.
· Increased ability to manage anxiety and depression and/or low mood
· Lasting decreases in physical and psychological symptoms
· An increased ability to relax
· Reductions in pain levels
· Enhanced ability to cope with chronic pain
· Improved self-esteem
· Improved sleep patterns
· Greater energy and enthusiasm for life